When it comes to your next project that requires workspace seating, how do you approach the spec? Check out whatever the big manufacturers are offering and overpay. Spec the trendy chair you saw at NeoCon? Start a Google search that goes down a rabbit trail of dead-ends? Here are five points from 9to5 Seating to consider when specifying office chairs that will help you make a more informed, smart decision.
- Ergonomics – If it’s not ergonomic, what’s the point? The benefits of good posture are widely known, and today’s office chairs are loaded with ergonomic features that help knowledge workers stay healthy, alert, and do their best work. A great chair should offer easy mobility and multi-dimension adjustability (reclining, height, seat depth, armrests, lumbar, circulation). The bottom line here? Make sure it’s also a comfortable work chair. Just because a chair offers ergonomics does not guarantee comfort.
Here are a few great options to consider:
- Sol: unique side-to-side movement
- HÅG Capisco: a rare chair that supports sit-to-stand and traditional sit, movement, and posture changes
- Luna: great for a wide range of users, multiple adjustment options, including armrests, a seat slider, and adjustable lumbar
2. Customization & Style – In short, it’s 2022, so don’t settle for “standard” when customization is widely available from the best manufacturers. A great chair supplier will also be glad to offer options, price comparisons, and lead times based on various customization configurations. At 9to5 Seating, customization is standard. Color, finish fabric, legs, casters. You decide. Our online Chair Designer tool is great for seeing options and finding your perfect spec.
With all of this, be sure your chairs still look good. 9to5 Seating has racked up awards from HiP, Metropolis Likes, Good Design, CFYC, and more. No matter what you spec, rest assured our design team has your back to ensure it looks great!
- Quality – This should be a given, but with all of the cheaper chair options flooding the market, it’s worth asking specific questions about durability. Is the chair you are considering BIFMA compliant? Does it have a LEVEL certification? Has proper wear testing been conducted? What is the fabric rating? What is the warranty? With 9to5 Seating, the answers to all of these questions are yes, and every chair offers a limited lifetime warranty. Peace of mind that when you spec 9to5 Seating, you choose quality backed by a guarantee.
4. Sustainability – How will your spec impact the environment? It’s a valid question that is becoming a major factor in the decision-making process of design firms, facility managers, and end-users. 9to5 Seating recently launched Ellie, an innovative chair made from 95% recyclable materials, Greenguard Gold and BIFMA LEVEL 2 certified. With 9to5 Seating, “plastic” is sustainable. Another aesthetically pleasing and sustainable option is Omnia – made from 100% recyclable plastic. That’s forward-thinking when it comes to end-of-product-life options. Last, every chair from 9to5 Seating is LEVEL 2 certified, and HÅG Capisco and HÅG Capisco Puls are LEVEL 3 certified.
Beyond the chair itself, what is your manufacturer doing to be a good corporate citizen? 9to5 Seating is proud to be solar powered, LEED Gold Certified, LEVEL certified, and a proud supporter of the non-profit organization One Tree Planted – dedicated to global reforestation. Learn more about the company’s sustainability policy.
5. Overall Value – Are you getting your money’s worth? One way to evaluate this is based on hard cost. 9to5 Seating wins here, with a wide range of chairs starting under $1,000 list price. However, there’s more than price when it comes to value. What do you get for the price? With 9to5 Seating, all boxes are checked when it comes to ergonomics, customization & style, quality, and sustainability. This adds up to make 9to5 Seating a leader regarding overall value for your spec.
So, what’s most important when specifying workspace seating? The answer depends on your organization’s specific needs, budget, and use cases. There’s no one right answer, but with these five tips, you can make the right choice.